A very simple podcast downloader written in Go
You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
 
 
Paul Wilde 1fa0b3d2af minor fixes, some broken stuff 6 months ago
main minor fixes, some broken stuff 6 months ago
structs removed default toml files and replaced with autocreate files from strings 1 year ago
.gitignore reorganise so 'go build' works better 1 year ago
LICENSE added license 6 months ago
README.md renamed podcatch folder 6 months ago
go.mod added taglib library 1 year ago
go.sum added taglib library 1 year ago
install.sh added install.sh 1 year ago
main.go renamed podcatch folder 6 months ago

README.md

PodCatch - a simple Podcast downloader

PodCatch is a very simple Podcast downloader written in GoLang built to help me download podcasts and store them in my media directory so Jellyfin can index them and thus can be listened to using Jellyfin's various apps.
Due to how PodCatch is configurable, I'm sure it would have other uses too.

Why PodCatch over other podcast downloaders?

I tried a few other podcast downloaders and largely they were fine, in fact PodCatch definitely borrows some nice ideas from other podcast downloaders. My personal issue with the others is that the filename they download as is not always "friendly"; that is to say, if there's no ID3 data containing the podcast title, trying to organise a list of podcasts with a GUID.mp3 filename in Jellyfin is not easy.
To tackle this issue, PodCatch looks up the title of the Podcast from its RSS feed, strips it of invalid characters, and uses that name as the file name. This allows for a much easier task when organising podcasts.

Install

Very simple install:

chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh
podcatch

Setup

Settings and Podcasts lists are automatically created in the ~/.podcatch/ directory. These files are in the TOML format, and the podcasts.toml file uses a map[string]Podcast interface.
The automatically created files contain some example podcasts from which you should be able to understand the required layout.

Future plans

I'd really like to work on consuming more of the RSS data (i.e. description) and store alongside the MP3 with the hopes that Jellyfin can parse that to supply episode overviews and more data about it.
I have tried working with this a little by creating an NFO file, but this has not worked as yet.

Thanks for reading!